Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Pintrest Pin - Borax Snowflakes

Christmas is over, but the kids are still home for a few more days.  What do we do now?  I found a project on Pintrest for Borax Snowflakes.  The perfect way to decorate the house for winter!
 
The Activity: 
 
Snow and Ice Activities for Kids Part II
from: http://deliacreates.blogspot.com/
 
My Directions:
 
Materials:
  • boiling water
  • 1/3 cup borax
  • pint mason jar
  • pencil
  • pipe cleaners
  • string/yarn
Directions:
Microwave 1 pint of water until boiling.  While water is warming form pipe cleaners into desired shape.  I cut mine and twisted them into an asterisk ( * ) shape.  Tie a piece of yarn around snowflake and wrap other end around a pencil.  Suspend the snowflake in the mason jar.  When your water is boiling add 1/3 cup borax and mix until dissolved.  Pour mixture into mason jar and let it sit overnight.  I left mine on the counter.
  
My Additions:
I followed the directions to the tee!
My Suggestions:
 
The directions tell you to let it sit overnight, but I would suggest leaving the snowflake a full 24 hours.  After 12 hours I had a lot of crystallization, but more kept forming the longer I left it.  After 24 hours mine looked like the pictures.
My Review:
Pros: 
  • Easy
  • Very Cute
  • Kids can help 
  • Nice winter decoration
     
Cons:
  • Look like candy
  • NOT EDIBLE!! 
Would I make these again?
 Definitely!

No comments: